The Pâquis are a district of Geneva located on the right bank of Lake Geneva built from 1855. Originally, the Pâquis are pastures located outside the fortifications surrounding Geneva, down to Lake Geneva, which are part of the town du Patit-Saconnex. The first part built is located to the north of the current district (along the route of the rue de Lausanne). The fortifications were dismantled from 1850 and several new districts developed beyond the land occupied by the fortifications (on the site of the old suburbs), Les Eaux-Vives, Plainpalais, La Jonction and Les Pâquis. Hoteliers built luxury establishments along the lake - Hôtel de Russie, Hôtel de la Paix, Hôtel Richemond, Hôtel Beau-Rivage or even Hôtel d'Angleterre, most of which still exist today, with the Hôtel National later becoming the Palais Wilson.